How many times in your life have you had muffins for breakfast? “Not enough” is almost certainly the answer – unless you’re the Muffin Man of Drury Lane, of course. We can’t imagine he tucks into muesli much. He has a brand to maintain.
We should all eat muffins for breakfast more often. Yes, they can be high in sugar and fat, but if you eat the right muffins, they can be slightly less high in sugar and fat. Make the muffins yourself and you can keep them within acceptable sugar and fat limits for sure – in fact, they can be a great energy-filled morning treat when you have an active day ahead.
RECOMMENDED: Healthy Breakfasts Worth Getting Up For
This muffin recipe from Meridian Foods is a fine pick-me-up for the frosty mornings to come this winter. So if you’re struggling to get out of bed in the morning, let alone out the door, spark yourself into life with the promise of these treats.
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins)
- 275g self-raising flour
- 50g oats
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 100g runny honey
- 2 mashed bananas
- 100g cashew butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 50g melted butter
- 200ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5 and line a muffin tray with 12 paper muffin cases.
- Mix the flour, oats, baking powder and sultanas in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, then gently beat in the honey, mashed bananas, cashew butter, melted butter and milk. You should end up with a gloopy liquid.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients mix, then pour in the wet ingredients and quickly combine. Don’t over-mix – the dry and wet ingredients just need to be combined, so stop once there is no visible dry flour. An over-mixed batter is the enemy of light and fluffy muffins. And any enemy of light and fluffy muffins should be an enemy of yours.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a cooling rack – do not eat the muffins straight from the oven, as tempting as that might be.
Meridian Smooth Cashew Butter is made with 100% cashew nuts and no added palm oil, 1kg, RRP £17.99, check price and buy on amazon.co.uk